New Forum | Previous | Next | (P-PDF) Developers
Topic: printing from a service to the Adobe Printer
Conf: (P-PDF) Developers, Msg: 123352
Date: 12/5/2004 04:51 AM
First we are using the standard edition of Acrobat (6.0).
We have rather a unique problem that only happens from a service when the user IS NOT logged in. This happens also on Window XP (SP1 & sp2) and 2000. Again this problem DOES NOT happen when the user is logged in. We have a service that will start an instance of IE and generate an Adobe PDF from a web page by printing to the Adobe Printer. We have designed an IE Browser Helper Object that will print the current web page to the default printer (which is Adobe PDF). This works when the service is started and run when the user is logged in - but does not when the user is logged out. The service is setup to be started as an administrator – not as a local service. When the failure happens we can log into windows and see that the document is in the Adobe printer queue with an error displayed. We are not sure of the error but we notice we cannot resume printing.
We have added debug code to our service and notice that the acrobat tray application starts however the distiller does not start. We think this whole issue could be something to do with the Distiller? Could this be a path issue?
1. Printing of an office document (from the service utilizing the Acrobat SDK) utilizing the Adobe Printer DOES work when the user is NOT logged in.
2. Printing to a printer other than the Adobe Printer from a service when not logged in DOES work.
3. When the user is logged in we are able to print to the Adobe printer without error.
4. Nothing fails when the user is logged in.
5. This condition happens on multiple computers (XP & 2000).
We believe this is all a configuration issue but have not found any information that will help us.
Any thoughts or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.