Previous | Next | (P-PDF) Acrobat 6.0
Topic: HELP... Cannot Open certain scanned pdf files in Outlook 2000
Conf: (P-PDF) Acrobat 6.0, Msg: 148109
Date: 3/27/2006 03:59 PM
I am hoping that someone out there can help me.
Background: I am using a Dell computer running Windows 2000 as the operating system and utilizing with Outlook 2000 for email and Acrobat Professional 6.0 for reading, creating, and editing pdf files. I have rebuilt the computer 3 times to correct the problem and it works great for three to six weeks.
Problem: I cannot open or save pdf files that are scanned directly to an email utilizing an HP Digital Sender 9200c. When I open the file from Outlook, rather than opening the file in Acrobat I am prompted to open or save the the file. If I select Open, I am taken directly to the system32 folder. In the event that I select save to disk, I get a message that outlook cannot save the url to file, path does not exist. The Digital Sender is a network scanner and no one else in the office has this issue. The differences are that they utilize desktop computers and Acrobat Reader, while mine is Lap top and I use the full Acrobat version.
1. I can open these very same files utilizing my Outlook Web Access account. If I want to open them later I have to save them to my computer.
2. I have no issues with scans from other scanners, or other pdf files through email, cd, internet, etc...
3. If someone in my office opens the file, does a save as and then resends me the saved file I can open it just fine.
4. If I rebuild the computer and reinstall all programs everything works fine for three to six weeks.
5. The problem seems to be specific to the HP 9200c (we have four different scanners and all provide the same results) as I have no problem with scans from the HP 9100.
I did read a link that is a few year old where someone else had this problem but it was with a different brand scanner. No One posted a resolution.
6. The problem seems to be specific to Outlook 2000, as my Outlook Web Access (from the same computer) allows me to open and save pdf files without issue.
7. This may be connected to installing Windows or Office security updates. I have not been able to prove or disprove this.
8. If I scan as a TIFF, JPG etc I can open the document. I know that I can convert those files to pdf, but this is adding more steps to the process.
To answer your questions I have tried all the normal quick fixes. Uninstalling acrobat... Office... and all associated programs. Reinstalling all of the above in various orders. The only way that I have found that will fix the issue is a total OS rebuild. As stated previously this is good for 3-6 weeks before the issue comes back, and is getting old. I am far from computer illiterate and am considered by many an expert in IT.
No One has been able to figure this out...