New Forum | Previous | Next | (P-PDF) Developers
Topic: Dynamic PDF documents
Conf: (P-PDF) Developers, Msg: 52982
Date: 5/29/2002 04:55 PM
My name is Sebastien Wasser.
I must produce "dynamic pdf documents" and I'm looking
for the best solution :
- I have 3 Microsoft Word Documents (.doc) and their
equivalents in PDF.
- They all have several pages (between 6 and 10).
- Between 1 and 4 tables are included in each page.
Each table has a title and several rows.
- Platform : Unix (Solaris 2.5), I can use Adobe
Distiller under Unix. I can't use a Windows platform.
- I must fill the documents with data and then produce
The problem is that the number of rows in each table
is not known in advance. That means that a table can
be displayed on several pages or that a table
initially presented on page 1 can be in fact on page
2 or 3 in the pdf. Of course I want to
have "readable" tables (I want for example to repeat
the title of a multi-page table on top of each page).
- I have tried several solution :
1. Fill the .doc documents and then convert them
into pdf. I can't find a solution under Unix (no
equivalent of OLE and no Distiller 4). It would
fit my needs under NT.
2. Convert the .doc documents into RTF documents and
then manipulate them under Unix (through
StarOffice or with our own tools written in
shell). The problem is then to convert the RTF
Files into PDF. I can use POSTSCRIPT as an
intermediate but I didn't find a good RTF TO
POSTSCRIPT converter. The result is always very
3. Use LaTeX as an intermediate. I should then
manipulate the LaTeX files and then add the rows
needed, add data, etc.
The problem is that I can't find LaTeX converters
which is able to deal with my RTF, DOC or PDF (I
have tried many but the result is always very
poor). I would be too long to write the document
4. Use a pdf library (pdflib or else) and then write
a soft in C or Java. The problem is that I find
it difficult to have enough information
concerning the original files. A tool like
"pdw" from Glance could help but it only gives
information concerning text in the pdf. I have to
add manually the information concerning table
borders, images, etc. In addition, it seems too
complicated in comparison with my problem.
Does anyone has a solution for me ? Thank you very
very much in advance.